Breathe in, Breathe out: Fitness & Wellness tip
Two little steps to less stress… Breathe in…. Breathe out
The ins and outs of Better Breathing
Try this relaxation exercise from breathing guru Andrew Weil, MD. The payoff? Blessed relief from constant thinking.
- Sit with your back straight
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge just behind your front teeth.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whooshing sound.
- Inhale quietly through your nose with your mouth closed to a count of 4. Hold you breath for a count of 7.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, this time whooshing to a count of 8.
- Inhale again and repeat the exercise 3 times for a total of 4 breaths.
If you have trouble holding your breath, speed up but stick to the 4-7-8-count. Practice twice a day, but don’t do more than 4 breaths at a time for the first month; later you can work up to 8 breaths. You may feel a little light-headed, but it will pass.
Read more Fitness & Wellness tips HERE